Wednesday, September 22, 2010

we are what we say we are (part 2)

We went to the bus stop and waited for the bus that goes till Spiti (the place we were headed to) to arrive. I was pretty disappointed about the fact that it was going to be a 36 hour bus journey, but I didn't even know that the actual distance was only, lets say, about 250 miles.
I should have expected that. There was about only a hundred miles or so of actual road. The rest was just rocks. Rocks! (and sure a little stream here and there). They weren't even arranged in a way that looked somewhat like a path. And the best part is, that when the car would get stuck, the driver would jump out of his seat, smoke a cigarette and after about 20 minutes, he'd chuckle and say "this car is just not meant for these roads." I don't think he ever realized that there is barely any sort of route even around what he referred to as a road. Well, anyway, going on with the story...
We were on our way up to one of the highest motor-able passes in the world when we say a car that had slipped off the road (there had to be some amount of infrastructure there because its a tourist sight) and was stuck in a wedge between two mountains. At fist i thought that everyone had stopped because this incident had just taken place, but then we found out that it was the tow truck that had come to the sight (five months to the date the car actually fell in) to 'try' and pull the chunk of metal back up, also blocking the one way ahead. 
The drive was eventful. I don't think i remember everything but I do remember when the cops, at one point,  stopped our car and a few other cars on the way up. They were vague about the reasons for not letting us pass and kept saying the way is shut. My cousin did call his friend who knew a friend who knew some one high up in the police department which got us out of that road (dust) block immediately but I wonder what happened to the other cars who were waiting to get up there... =(

(this blog is turning out to be a boring book... not my intention guys, sorry if it comes across that way)

3 comments:

  1. I really like the way you are writing these posts. Its great how you keep us waiting for next weeks blog post to find out what is going to happen. I also think your tone is great and funny. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sucks but i enjoyed reading your post it was pretty funny even though you may not have wanted it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your friends-in-high-places theme is hilarious; it kind of shows up in unexpected places. Nice.

    ReplyDelete