Sunday, October 17, 2010

What makes us who we are? 1

What makes us who we are?

(I ask this and try to answer because I want to know what makes who we are as individuals and as communities)
It sounds like im trying to write a paper here, umm.... Im not. Im sure sometime in your lives you stop and look at whats going on and how things are being processed all around you. I ask this because I am at that phase. Sure, we are never completely sure of anything. But clearing out your eyes and being able to observe everything without a perspective does help in knowing where you stand.

I was going to face 'culture shock' when i went to the US in a couple of weeks was what i thought while on my way up the mountain. I wasn't scared at all though, partly because i didn't quite know what it would be like and partly because I didn't want to give it much thought. I was on my way to a new place so different as i thought about all this.

We came to a stop on our way to Spiti. The village had had no electricity for about 2 months. Mhm, 2 months, and the last time they did have it, it lasted for about 3 hours. I needed to charge my phone, have a hot shower, watch some television maybe use my computer, but I couldn't do any of these things without power. This was one of the first times when i legitimately flew outside my head and observed a little bit of what I am. I knew that i was dependent on electricity and technological outlets that took up my time. I realized that my actions had been more to pass the time rather than to enjoy what i was doing. To me personally, this was a huge step. Try to see yourself from another plane and you will realize how one dimensional you can be (in any definition that you think suits you best).

1 comment:

  1. That's a very profound realization! I turned my computer off for a day a couple of weeks ago and, even that, change me. I don't think our class has even begun to recognize how much technology shapes our identities.

    ReplyDelete